Butch, also known as the "Sodor Heavy Recovery Unit", is a breakdown vehicle.
Butch was first seen towing in Lorry 2 to Brendam Docks. A long time later, he was fitted with a magnet, but did not listen to Victor's advice on how to use it and became stuck to Thomas. They returned to the Steamworks and Victor helped them get unstuck. Butch is now part of the Sodor Search and Rescue Team and resides at the Sodor Search and Rescue Centre.
Butch is serious about his job and loves working, especially with his railway friends. Despite his size, Butch has a kind heart and is always ready when his service is needed.
Butch is painted yellow with a navy flatbed and "Sodor Heavy Recovery Unit" written on both sides in white. Since the opening of the Sodor Search and Rescue Centre, he has the logo of said establishment on his cab doors.
- Season 1 - Emily Helps Out (cameo), James and the Big Red Balloon (cameo), Toby Saves the Lambs (cameo), Harold and the Flying Climbers (cameo), and Thomas' Three Cheers (cameo)
- Season 2 - Slow Coaches, Stepney's Journey Out (cameo), and Flying Scotsman Departs (cameo)
- Season 3 - Jack and Alfie Swap (does not speak), Midnight Mavis (cameo), and Derek Comes Home (cameo)
- Season 4 - Thomas and Algy and Oliver's Sea Rescue
- Season 5 - Snow Rescue and Nigel
- Season 6 - James and the Royal Train (mentioned)
- Butch did not have a face in the fifth season episode Horrid Lorry.
- Butch's CGI render is a lot larger than his original model.
|Sodor Search and Rescue Centre|
|Harold • Butch • Rocky • Captain • Belle • Flynn|