Hank is a large American tender engine.
Thomas and Percy first met Hank at Brendam when he arrived. Thomas was impressed, until Hank told him he was "one of the finest little engines he'd ever seen". Thomas misinterpreted the comment as making fun of his size, and became determined to pull all of Hank's loads himself. While Thomas tired himself out pulling the heavy loads, Hank insisted that he should help Thomas with the train. With the strain, Thomas eventually cracked a cylinder and finally decided to accept Hank's offer for help. Hank pushed Thomas to Knapford, where the other engines were waiting to greet Hank.
Hank is big, bold, and blue. He may come across as brash in his cheery confidence and enthusiasm, but being the mighty titan he is, Hank is more than used to being easily seen or heard. In his jolliness, he may seem a little goofy and kooky, especially with so many bells and whistles and a cowcatcher, but big ol' Hank has a big ol' heart and is more than happy to buffer up, share, and lend a helping hand. Using his might, strength, and power to be able to assist others is something that only comes all too naturally to him and he takes it in his stride, without second thought. Hank can become concerned about his friends though, as he gladly keeps an eye out for the other little engines. The only trouble with being Hank is that virtually every engine is little compared to him.
Hank is a Pennsylvania Railroad K4 Pacific with buffers and three-link couplings added to the back of his tender for coupling.
Hank is painted ultramarine blue with red wheels, lining, and a cowcatcher. His smokebox is painted dark grey.
- Season 2 - Fergus and the Electric Engines (cameo), Molly's Coal Delivery (cameo), Gordon and the Bend, Scottish Engines, and Flying Scotsman Departs (cameo)
- Season 3 - Hector the Ballast Hopper (does not speak), Ghost Stories, and Unique Stafford
- Season 4 - Neville at the Scrapyard, The Wrong Sort of Coal (does not speak), Broken Down Crane, and Oliver's Sea Rescue
- Season 5 - The Big City Engine, Stanley's Branch Line (cameo), and Samson and Logan
- Season 6 - Edward and the Express
- Season 7 - Toby's Snowplough and Hank and the Flying Kipper
- Season 8 - Lampless Lance
- Gordon and Spencer: An LNER Rivalry
- The Ghost Engine of Sodor
- The Curse of the Kipper
- Sodor and the Mystery of Christmas
- Hank's whistle is really a lower pitched version of Gordon's.
|North Western Railway|
|Thomas • Edward • Henry • Gordon • James • Percy • Toby • Duck • Donald and Douglas • Oliver • Geoffrey • Harvey • Emily • Fergus • Arthur • Murdoch • Molly • Neville • Rosie • Whiff • Billy • Stanley • Hank • Flora • Victor • Charlie • Scruff • Belle • Porter • Glynn • Ryan • Diesel • Daisy • BoCo • Bear • Dave • Derek • 'Arry and Bert • Diesel 10 • Salty • Dennis • Den • Dart • Sidney • Paxton • Norman • Philip • Flynn • Winston • Stafford • Jeff • Angus • Taro •|