Mavis is a diesel shunter who works at Ffarquhar Quarry with Toby.
Mavis arrived on Sodor around 1970-1972. She was first seen working at the quarry and getting into all sorts of trouble. She was eventually allowed to travel up to Ffarquhar after helping Toby from a "tightrope" situation.
Mavis was arrogant until being brought down to earth after her embarrassing incident at the Ffarquhar crossing. Despite this, Mavis is a reliable, honest, hard-working engine, and unusually for a diesel, shows respect for the steam engines. However, unlike most engines, hauling trucks makes her feel important.
From the sixth season onwards, Mavis has matured and acts as a motherly figure to the other engines. Still being a young engine, she still retains some of her naivety.
Mavis is painted black with hazard stripes on her front and rear. She has her name and "The Ffarquhar Quarry Co. Ltd." written on her sideplates in white.
- Season 1 - BoCo Helps Out and Trust a Diesel (does not speak)
- Season 2 - Slow Coaches (cameo), Races, Stories of the Sea (cameo), Disaster on Sodor, Stepney's Journey Out (cameo), and Flying Scotsman Departs (cameo)
- Season 3 - Percy and the Other Railway (cameo), Old Slow Coach, Midnight Mavis, and Ghost Stories (mentioned)
- Season 4 - Thomas and Algy, Flora's Tram Coach, and The Wrong Sort of Coal (mentioned)
- Season 5 - Henry to the Rescue (cameo), Snow Rescue, Percy and James, Stanley's Branch Line (cameo), and A Vintage Coach
- Season 6 - The New Diesel Fuel, Percy and the Problem with Snakes, and James and the Royal Train (cameo)
- Season 7 - Toby and the Snowplough, Mavis and Thumper, and George and the Trouble with Brakevans
- Season 8 - Waddling Wilbert (cameo)
- Mavis was the last character Wilbert Awdry created before he retired from writing the Railway Series.
|Other Sudrian railways|
|Bill and Ben • Mavis • Stephen • Timothy • Marion • Philip • Millie|